Thursday, March 08, 2007

Min Jiang Kueh


This is also known as Ban Chian Koay (in Hokkein?). I remember eating this snack, growing up in Malaysia. Hey sis, remind me, how do we get this snack? Later, when I went to Taiwan to visit my in-laws, I had it again. The fillings were sweetened red bean, instead of peanuts.

Eating food at hawker stands is almost never sanitary. I remember one of the hawkers (of course, not the one that was serving my food), had one hand picking his nose, and the other hand scratching his butt. It is strange that you are not aware of this when you are little kids.

I highly recommend that you try out this recipe because it is not too complicated and it does not take up a whole day to make it. It will be a great snack or breakfast. My kids love them.

Unfortunately, these photos does not gives justice to the delicious taste or good looks. Does anyone know why is the background is clearer than the foreground? Wow, there is so much to learn in life. First come cooking, next come photographing.




I do not have a cast iron pan, so I used a non stick pan to make this. If you like bigger kueh, use a bigger pan and put more ladle of batter into your pan. After making the first one, you will get an idea, on how much batter to put in your next one. I have used the following recipes numerous times. It is well tested. Please pay attention to my notes in parenthesis. It will ensure that you are successful as well.

(reference: Hawker's Galore (A guide to Penang Hawker Food)

Batter Ingredients
230 gm plain flour
2 tsp castor sugar
1 egg beaten
2 cups water/milk
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 tsp oil

Batter Preparation

Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add in egg, liquid and oil. Mix into a smooth batter and allow to stand for at least 2 hours. (Since the batter has egg, make sure you refrigerate your batter.)

Flling Ingredients

4 tsp castor sugar
2 tsp roasted sesame seeds
6 tsp peanuts roasted and ground
4 tsp butter

Preparation

Ban Chian Koay pan is a heavy, cast iron pan used over a coal fire. To obtain best results, it is recommended that a heavy base 16 cm frying pan be used if the original pan is not available. Heat the pan over fairly high heat. Spoon a ladle of the batter in the pan and spread it evenly. WHen mixture turns translucent, sprinkle sugar, ground peanut and sesame seeds evenly over the surface. Dab with butter. Cover pan to ensure even heating. Cook for another 3 minutes; remove pancake and fold in two. Serve hot.

p/s Check out the photos and the author's warning in this blog: http://yummydummy.blogspot.com/2006/12/best-of-best.html

10 comments:

Edith said...

You have a great blog, thanks for dropping by and hope to have some sharing in the future.

Anonymous said...

turn on "macro mode" and your first pic will be fine :) When you try to shoot food which is close to the camera lens you will need macro mode.

btw, we use to call this "Mang Zhang Kuih" in Miri, Sarawak. exact recipe except that we put in corn paste as well, and try to cut down on the sugar.. i see total of 6 tsp of sugar ^_^" I can feel the sweetness by reading it already. Haha..

Lee Ping said...

Thanks for the camera tips. I wasn't able to find the "macro mode". However, I did find the "best shot for food" mode. I will try that on my next dish. Too bad, we finished the kuih before I can retake more photos.

"Mang Zhang" in chinese dialect (hokkein?) means fussy. Usually, this term apply to fussy babies. It is rather interesting that a kuih is named after that in East Coast Malaysia.

I haven't try using corn paste yet, but I am sure it will taste good as well. I have tried ice kacang with corn paste and it tasted great!

As far as the sugar is concerned, only 2 tsp is used for the batter. And the ratio of the peanuts with sugar for the filling is about right. The beauty of this dish is you can adjust the taste (more or less sugar) according to your taste. I tried the amount of sugar in this recipe and it tasted great, comparable to what the hawkers sell.

Anonymous said...

Lee Ping,
It was nice meeting you at the Singaporean / Malaysian gathering last weekend. Thanks for sharing your blog. The pictures are great .... my mouth is watering already! I'll be visiting your blog regularly to get inspired to cook! It is so good to know you are a follower of Christ too! May the Lord use your gifts to further His kingdom.
-fay wern (the lady with the newborn baby)

Lee Ping said...

Hi Fay,

Welcome to my blog. Inspiring others to cook is a "good thing". Is there a saying, "to reach the man's heart, satisfy his stomach first?"

I have been busy blogging today that I may have neglected my husband's stomach. I served "ban chian kuih" and left over satay and roasted pork tonight.

Are you Christine from Johor? We should get together some time for lunch.

Anonymous said...

I m not sure about the origin of the name, but it is pronouce at a different tone. We call them "Mang1 Zhang3 Kuih" they usually made by malays. I found them in west malaysia too under a different name. Cant recall it at this moment. Thing is, they dun roll it, they just fold it to half circle and the outer layer is usually very thick and fluffy.

*drool* gona go grab some later, all this talking is making me hungry. Haha..

Lee Ping said...

If you remember the name that is used in west malaysia, please let me know. I will include in my blog.

I tried to replicate the 'thick and fluffy' texture using both my caphalon non stick pan and oven.

I had my kids taste both the thick and thinner versions and they both preferred the latter.

wmw said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog. Another tip apart from the macro mode (and some cameras even have food mode) is that after taking a shot...zoom in on the picture to check its clarity. It usually appears to be clear in such a small LCD screen but when you zoom in to take a look, you can see whether it's clear or not. If not, take another shot before the food gets eaten! :o)

Unknown said...

Hello Lee Ping:

I came across your blog and I like your recipes in the Hawker food segment. I actually tried your Min Jiang Kueh recipe today (half portion) but sad to say with no success. Wonder what I did wrong. The pancake is already browning but the top did not cook. It seemed frothy and still bubbling. Any idea as to what went wrong? Appreciate your advice as I love to eat Min Jiang Kueh and would like to make a good one myself...thanks...Elizabeth

Lee Ping said...

Dear Elizabeth,

I am so glad that you like my recipes in the hawker food segment. It is good that you tried only half portion so throwing away is not so wasteful.

When I cook my pancake, I pour just enough batter to cover the whole pan. Now, if you put too much batter, the top will take a longer time to cook. One way to resolve too much batter is to cover the pan with a lid and cook the pancake under medium heat, that way, the pancake will be cooked thoroughly.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.